Who we are
Founded in 2014 in London, United Kingdom, Garrison has raised more than $50m to date from London investors including Dawn Capital, IP Group, NM Capital and BGF. Garrison’s strengths lie in its experienced and dedicated teams, building on years of expertise in cyber security to bring genuinely game changing technology to the industry.
Garrison is working to build the future of cyber security and is already deploying in both the government and commercial space, at scale. Our existing customers are large organisations averaging over fifty thousand employees each, across sectors including banking, insurance, media, telco, law and government.
What we do
Garrison is an exciting start-up company with ground-breaking technology that makes the internet a far safer place for work and play. We develop cyber security products that bring together our own electronic hardware, firmware and software to provide an unrivalled combination of security, usability and performance to ensure that risky web content is never processed on the user’s endpoint device.
Our working culture
You will join a knowledgeable, passionate and motivated team who are looking to drive our products forwards and develop our use of technology to solve some of the most challenging security problems around today. You will be immersed in a challenging, supportive and fast moving working environment with the opportunity to learn about different technologies, develop new skills and set out on a range of career paths.
As a software engineer at Garrison, you will be involved in developing software across all our platforms and creating new products and capabilities. You will bring a passion for technology and software development, strong core computer science knowledge (including exposure to modern C++) and a fearless attitude to learning new technologies and solving problems.
Duties and responsibilities
You will contribute to all aspects of product engineering within the team and take the lead on creating software components for our current and future products. Your responsibilities will include:
Product software development
- Developing functionality for the product to meet the key market needs with a focus on delivering reliable, high-quality software a highly usable solution
- Developing new capabilities and researching new techniques and technologies to enable us to transform our product offerings
- Contributing to the scoping and design of new software and supporting planning and estimating, including responsibility for estimating individual development tasks
Integration, test and sustainment
- Performing the end-to-end integration and test of software components and deploying them onto hardware through both manual testing and automated test development
- Collaborating with hardware and firmware teams to mitigate risks in both the overall design and in the integration of hardware and software
- Identifying and investigating defects in the system, whether found internally or by clients, and developing bug fixes and corresponding enhancements to the product
- Improving code maintainability and supportability for example through ongoing code refactoring, code peer-review, unit test development and provision of stable APIs
- Developing automation for common engineering tasks, including testing, environment provisioning and build and release management to improve development efficiency
- Investigating new technologies and performing rapid prototyping under the direction of the Head of Engineering or the CTO to support technical de-risking and discover new opportunities or design improvements
- Working with the leadership team to identify and prioritise potential new product features, and suggest and progress opportunities for innovation across the product.
In addition to the specific software engineering responsibilities above, you are encouraged to get involved in the wider business where possible. By way of example, this could include getting involved with customer trials, helping to write customer-facing documentation or building and setting up demonstrations to support marketing events.
You’ll be perfect for the role if you have the following
- Demonstrable examples of your work, ideally via a Github or similar.
- Strong knowledge of core computer science concepts such as concurrency, networking, performance and algorithms
- Knowledge of multiple of programming languages (including exposure to C/C++)
- A passion for technology, demonstrated through previous project work, professional roles or personal projects
It would be super useful if you’ve covered or are driven to up-skill in the following areas
- Systems software development / embedded Linux
- Android app and Android native (C++) platform development
- Web browser development and customization
- Desktop and mobile application development
- Python web services and REST APIs
And as an employee we’d be delighted if you have
- Self-motivation, enjoy technical challenges and delivering results
- flexibility and adaptability, and can cope when thrown in at the deep end
- Recognition of the importance of planning, prioritisation and getting work done on schedule
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- The ability to collaborate effectively with team members and have excellent interpersonal skills
- Competitive salary
- Regular social events
- Perkbox discounts and freebies
- 25 days holiday allowance per year (with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 5 days)
- Company pension scheme of 8% base salary (dependent on employee minimum contribution)
- Life assurance
- Critical illness cover
- Share option scheme
- Bike to work scheme
- Interest-free season ticket loans
- And free fruit, tea and Nespresso pod coffee machines in our offices!