DevOps Engineer (software development, on-prem)
Founded in 2014 in London, United Kingdom, Garrison has raised more than $50m to date from London investors including Dawn Capital, IP Group, NM Capital and BGF. Garrison’s strengths lie in its experienced and dedicated teams, building on years of expertise in cyber security to bring genuinely game changing technology to the industry.
Garrison is working to build the future of cyber security and is already deploying at scale in both the government and commercial space. Our existing customers are large organisations averaging over fifty thousand employees each, across sectors including banking, insurance, media, telco, law and government.
2019/20 is shaping up to be our busiest and most productive yet, with increasing demand, steady growth, and plenty of impactful projects taking place!
What we do
We make the internet a far safer place for work and play. We develop cyber security products that bring together our own electronic hardware, firmware and software to provide an unrivalled combination of security, usability and performance to ensure that risky web content is never processed on the user’s endpoint device.
Our working culture
Garrison is an exciting start-up company with ground-breaking technology; a very serious mission to solve real world problems, but with a positive and highly inclusive atmosphere, an excellent work/life balance, and frequent social events covering everything from games nights to robot fights!
We offer a fantastic range of benefits with a central London base 30 secs walk from Waterloo Station, plus a flexible approach to working hours, fortnightly croissant mornings for an all-hands Q&A with the leadership team, not to mention a huge gong for new sales celebrations!
As a DevOps Engineer at Garrison you will be instrumental in improving the workflows, practices and processes employed by the wider engineering team. You will focus on developing, maintaining, and running the continuous integration, deployment and testing infrastructure, including both bespoke and third-party solutions. You will contribute to all aspects of product engineering within the team and take the lead on developing CI and test software solutions.
You will support the entire engineering lifecycle from design through development and into operational deployment by developing tools, methods and infrastructure to make our working practices as effective and efficient as possible.
Our technology stack ranges from bespoke hardware, FPGAs and embedded software, to mobile and desktop applications, web services and AWS. You will have the opportunity contribute to DevOps across the whole stack, covering a massive range of tools and methods in a product engineering environment.
Garrison has a challenging, supportive and fast-moving working environment with a huge opportunity to learn about different technologies, develop new skills and set out on a range of career paths.
Continuous integration / deployment
- Developing tools and enhancing infrastructure that automate the process of building, integrating and testing our products; this will include building and deploying firmware onto FPGAs and software onto a mix of our own custom hardware and standard PC / servers.
- Supporting the engineering team in developing, integrating and automating tests covering all aspects of the system and producing reports on automated test execution.
- Developing new pipelines for software and firmware (FPGA) build and integration and re-engineering existing ones to streamline continuous integration and deployment.
- Gathering metrics on the performance and efficiency of our engineering and operational processes and using this data to identify and deliver improvements to how we work.
- Creating and maintaining scripts to automate routine development activities, such as appliance configuration and system releases.
- Coordinating with all teams at Garrison to effectively understand (and then eliminate) limitations in engineering build, deploy and test workflows.
- Choosing the right tools for the job. By understanding the nature of our work you will choose, deploy and maintain the best tools for us to use: be they open source, paid for or developed in-house
Test toolbox capability development
- Developing the system-level test framework and reusable test components for end-to-end testing of the Garrison solution and individual solution components.
- Enabling all engineers at Garrison to effectively test new features by providing software tools and interfaces and providing support in their test development.
- Expanding coverage of automated tests and reducing reliance on manual testing.
- Designing and developing new software to further enhance our integration and test capabilities across our unique technology stack.
- Improving code maintainability and supportability for example through ongoing code refactoring, code peer-review, test development and provision of stable APIs
- Investigating new technologies and performing rapid prototyping to support technical de-risking and discover new opportunities for design improvements.
- Researching and integrating third-party solutions to DevOps needs.
- Promoting a “DevOps mindset” across the engineering team and accelerating the adoption of new tools, workflows and best practices across new and existing projects
You’ll be perfect for the role if you have the following
- Aptitude for programming with Python or Bash alongside testing and automation, and a high-level knowledge of other languages such as C, C++ and/or Java.
- Good experience of working in a multi-disciplinary engineering team.
- A track record of picking up and working with different technologies.
- Understanding of development tools and technology, including source control, continuous integration, containerisation, etc.
- Confidence in working with different operating systems including Linux and Windows.
- Passion for improving engineering workflows and quality, working across teams to embed automation and rapid feedback into engineering practices.
It would be super useful if you’ve dealt with the following
- Experience of CI tools.
- Experience of CI in systems involving custom hardware.
- Experience developing and running automated tests.
And these would be a massive bonus! (but don’t worry if you’ve not covered)
- Experience of IT automation software.
- Experience of automating cloud services.
- Experience of the Atlassian toolset.
- Working in a product engineering environment.
- Competitive salary
- Regular social events
- Perkbox discounts and freebies
- 25 days holiday allowance per year (with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 5 days)
- Company pension scheme of 8% base salary (dependent on employee minimum contribution)
- Life assurance
- Critical illness cover
- Share option scheme
- Bike to work scheme
- Interest-free season ticket loans
- And free fruit, tea and coffee in our offices!